The root canal procedure is one of the most common dental procedures that is performed today. It is a necessary treatment to save a tooth that is badly decayed or infected. The purpose of root canal treatment is to clean out the infected part of your tooth so that the tooth can be saved—thus preventing your tooth from having to be extracted.
If you are in need of root canal treatment, you can trust the team at River Edge Dental. We are experienced in performing this procedure and will make sure that you are comfortable throughout the entire process.
What Is A Root Canal?
A root canal is an endodontic procedure that is performed when the pulp of your tooth becomes infected. The pulp is the innermost layer of your tooth that contains the nerve and blood vessels. The infection can be caused by a number of things—such as a deep cavity, a crack in your tooth, or an injury to your tooth. No matter the cause, the infection starts when the interior of the tooth has been compromised, as this allows bacteria to invade the pulp. If the infection is left untreated, it can spread to the surrounding tissues and cause an abscess. An abscess is a pus-filled pocket that forms when the infection spreads.
Overall, the purpose of a root canal is to relieve the patient’s pain and to prevent the spread of infection within the body. In this way, you are able to preserve your natural tooth and avoid having to undergo more invasive dental procedures.
The Root Canal Procedure
If you’re like most people, the words “root canal” might make you a bit nervous. But there’s no need to be afraid! Root canal treatment is a relatively simple and straightforward procedure that works to relieve pain rather than cause it. At River Edge Dental, our team of experienced River Edge, NJ endodontists will work diligently to save your tooth and ensure the entire procedural process is smooth and comfortable for you.
- During the root canal procedure, we will first numb the area around your tooth to ensure that you are comfortable.
- Next, we will create a small opening in your tooth so that we can access the infected pulp.
- Once we have access to the pulp, we will carefully remove it. This includes all living matter within the tooth—the tissues, nerves, and blood vessels.
- Once the infected pulp has been removed, we will clean and disinfect the area.
- Finally, we will fill the tooth and seal it.
- The procedure will be completed with the placement of a dental crown.
Symptoms Of A Tooth Infection
If you think that you might have a tooth infection, it’s important to seek treatment right away. The sooner you contact our office to schedule treatment, the better. Symptoms of a tooth infection include:
- Severe toothache
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
- Swelling in the gums
- Swelling in the face
- Difficulty chewing
- Drainage from the tooth
- Darkened appearance of the tooth
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, please contact River Edge Dental right away. We will be happy to help you get the treatment you need to ensure the health of your smile.